Before you get started with your student voice project, you want to check your assumptions.
You might begin by saying to your group, “Before getting started in actually engaging student voice, there are some important questions we have to ask ourselves and our school:
- What is the vision for students in our school?
- What is the motivation for involving students?
- What expectations do we have for students and adults in the school?
- What roles can students play?
- What resources exist to ensure success for involving students in our school?
After you’ve considered those questions, have conversations about addressing any issues that may have arisen, and then move forward!
Adapted from the SoundOut Student Voice Curriculum, copyright 2013 Adam Fletcher for CommonAction. Learn more.