Activities focused on Meaningful Student Involvement and Student Voice reflect two distinctly different routes to engage students in changing schools. Meaningful Student Involvement holds student voice carefully and respects its sentiment while honoring its sensibilities and enriching its possibilities.
Student Voice is any expression of any student anytime related to education.
- Doesn’t require schools to change
- Doesn’t require students to change
- Doesn’t require adults to change
- Doesn’t necessarily change education
Meaningful Student Involvement is a process for engaging students as partners in every facet of school change for the purpose of strengthening their commitment to education, community, and democracy. It focuses on:
- System-wide action for school improvement
- Deep student/adult commitment
- Whole school transformation
- Deep learning for students and adults
- Expanded opportunities for students and adults