In order to be heard, we have to learn to listen. Listening can be simple, painless and easy; it can also be complex, painful and hard. Either way, we have to learn to listen if we want to get past just hearing what is being said.
This is how to listen to others.
- Open my heart and mind to others
- Release my assumptions about others and their interest and ability to speak for themselves
- Make space for others to speak for themselves
- Be quiet and listen
- Ensure opportunities for others to speak for themselves always exist in perpetuity
- Continue always to stay mindful about my voice, my listening and my actions that affect others
- Be aware of my conscious and unconscious impact on others
- Step aside so others can speak for themselves
- Advocate for others to speak for themselves
- When they are absent, speak for others who cannot speak for themselves
- Build my ability to listen
This isn’t meant to be completely comprehensive; instead, its intended to hold space for people who want to learn what they can do for themselves and others in order to build their ability to listen.
What would you add? Share your thoughts in the comments below.