All community engagement has to begin by being engaged within ourselves. If we are disconnected from what dwells deepest within us—our priorities, emotions, thoughts, and experiences—we are alone even when we’re surrounded by others. We cannot truly make a difference in anyone else’s life if we cannot make a difference in our own.
- If you can spend time alone without being uncomfortable with yourself, then you’re engaged within you.
- If you can name three activities you consistently do on your own that you enjoy doing, you’re engaged in you.
- If you know others are dependent on you and you’re good with that, you’re engaged in you.
- If you deeply understand who you are and what you stand for and against, you’re engaged in you.
- If you know how your connections with others make your connections to you more full, you’re engaged in you.